November 23, 2007
People have frequently asked me what games I play other than Mega Man games. Although this subject isn’t really directly Mega Man related, I figured since readers of this site have asked, it wouldn’t hurt to answer the question here. Mind you, I’m still playing Mega Man games (yes, including Advent), and probably always will, but naturally they aren’t the only thing out there.
At any rate, I really like a lot of games, so it’s impossible to list all of the ones I’ve ever enjoyed. Just touching on some of the non-Mega Man titles that I’ve played recently...
You might ask, of all of these games, why haven’t I created any other game-related websites? Why did Mega Man get the attention? Well, I did create some smaller sites for games such as the Final Fantasy Legend II and Mario Kart 64, but never developed them into full-blown websites like MMHP. Why?
- Portal. Great gimmick, hilarious computer. You’ve surely seen somebody somewhere make reference to this game—even if you didn’t recognize it as a reference. This game is everywhere.
- Neverwinter Nights 2. Sadly the multiplayer aspects weren’t designed well, but it’s a fun game nonetheless with tremendous replay value—not necessarily because of the campaigns themselves, but because it’s so much fun to develop new characters.
- Puzzle Quest. Great casual game because you can pick it up, play for a few minutes, and put it down...or play for three hours straight without getting bored.
- Mario & Luigi. A somewhat older game; sadly the sequel wasn’t as much fun as the first GBA title. The sense of humor is sometimes a little crude, but otherwise the hilarity is great. I keep going back to this one for that reason.
- Mario Kart. I don’t care which version. I’ve loved virtually all of them. Recently I’ve been playing the DS and GCN versions, of course.
- Star Wars Lego. Fun game; great drop-in, drop-out multiplayer mode.
- Soul Calibur. Only 3-D fighter I’ve ever been able to enjoy. The 3-D models are excellent (love the hair and cloth simulation) and some of the characters are quite fun. Only downside is the outfit design seems to take a plunge with every successive sequel.
- Starcraft. The original game is ten years old but Starcraft 2 is on its way, and I still enjoy the original even after all this time (now there’s replayability!).
- Too many others to count. As I said, I love games. Final Fantasy series, SaGa series, Zelda series, Mario series, Sonic series, Ultima series, you name it, I’ve probably played it.
Aside from just being fun games to play, Mega Man’s captured a certain part of my heart. I like to play the Mega Man games, that’s true, but I also like to write about the games, write about Mega Man himself, and overall immerse myself in the series. None of the other game series have quite captured my attention in the same way.
And that’s why MMHP is still here, going strong, after more than ten years.
- The MegaMaster